SMILES WITHOUT LIMITATIONS was created because of the necessity of improvement in the oral health conditions of people with mental and physical limitations, which always has been handled on a second plane. Additionally, is very important to understand that the oral health is a fundamental part to improve the quality of life of any human being.
Few years ago in Colombia, South America, in a small town in which I grew up , I had the opportunity to know and share some experiences with a small group of people known as “ Fundacion Semillas de Esperanza Quilichao FUSESQUI” (Seeds of Hope Foundation Quilichao), in which the majority of members have some of physical and/or mental limitations. During that time, I could see that their members have a great support and help from other foundations, that help them with wheelchairs, canes, physical therapies, etc; but none of them have a program related with oral health. That is where the idea of creating Smile Without Limitations Foundation with the goal of offering education and electric toothbrushes for the improvement of the oral health conditions and decrease oral diseases such as gingivitis, periodontitis, and dental decay, in which this specific group are suffering constantly.
Smiles without limitations foundation in its agenda has the purpose of creating a great social media net using social networks on the internet like a Facebook, Youtube, Linkedin, among others; with the goal to involve people with great charisma and generosity. The purpose is to obtain the economic or material resources (electric toothbrushes) to offer a better quality of oral health to this population, which has been unattended for a long time.
Educate and provide electric toothbrushes to people with physical and mental limitations of low income.
• To offer a better quality of life to people with mental and physical limitations, in terms of preventive oral health.
• To minimize the presence of oral disease such as gingivitis, periodontitis, and dental decay in people with physical and mental limitations.
• To create the habits of oral hygiene with the goal of avoiding oral diseases that could compromise the health in general.
• To educate relatives of people with limitations, as well as other foundations that are working, promoting, and looking for a better quality of life for people with physical and mental limitations.
• To give the most number of electric toothbrushes to people with physical and mental limitations of low income and help them on their oral health.